Sunday, January 24, 2010

365- EL REINO DE ESTE MUNDO

hey again!
Hope anyone who reads my blog is having an great weekend :) I'm watching the football game.. GO SAINTS! I really hope that they beat the Vikings... however if they do lose the only other team I would be happy about winning the superbowl would be the Vikings. I know this has nothing to do with what the blog is supposed to be about.. BUT I AM JUST WAY TO EXCITED right now. Anyways.. without further adieu.

El Reino de este mundo is a perfect cuenta to study at especially at this time because of the recent most terrible earthquake that struck HAITI. It is interesting to learn about the spanish influence and also french.In the prologue Carpentier talks about "the inversion of the reality" found in the magic and the tropical vegetation. The magic is created in the natural forms and metamorphosis and symbiotic relationships between the animals, the elements and the people. Furthermore, the wealth found from reality is that of the illumination of the natural world. In a very artistic voice Carpentier describes his vision of the marvelous found in what's real. Which is my understanding of why this novel fits our course outline... ie: magical realism. The chapter I enjoyed the most was the metamorphosis. It to me was a perfect example of something real, yet also marvelous. The patriotism of the land and the natural phenomenons are also connected. One might say that it is an example of magical realism. Ti Noel, the protagonist represents this theme in human form so to speak he is dominating of the strength found in the natural world and practices exercises of the metamorphosis. Francios Mackandal, is a character who in real life was the leader of the Haitian Revolucion and his persona is symbol of the reality also found in the story. There is a large french influence in the book that I thought showed how connected the european world was and how as a unit they influences the new worlds they conquered.

The half time show is almost over so I best be getting back to the football game. I look forward to hearing what will be shared in class about EL REINO DE ESTE MUNDO! I was wondering about the significance of the title. I know it is mentioned on page 19 "Ese es un rey de tu pais". But I'm still trying to make a greater connection.


1 comment:

  1. Hola Laura,
    Muy bien. Sí, es increíblemente interesante cuanto tiene que ver este cuento con la historia francesa y los períodos de iluminismo filosófico. Me gusta lo que has puesto sobre la naturaleza. La relación entre las características del hombre y como se reflejan en el espejo ambiental es fascinante ver en las obras del realismo mágico. Buen trabajo encontrando esa información sobre Mackandal. Además, está muy bien lo que dijiste sobre el contenido francés que tiene este libro. Hay referencias a pensadores (Rousseau), obras teatrales (Jean-Racine), y siquiera operas francesas (Jean-Baptiste Lully y Monsigny).

    ReplyDelete